The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

How are you using Accelerated Reader (AR) in your classroom? Do you feel AR is a good tool for differentiation and motivation?

Views: 119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm just not sure how AR is a differentiation tool. Its not a teaching tool or strategy but a quiz tool. I think it could be motivational, but not part of differentiated instruction.
I differentiate by helping each student set goals based on their individual reading ability. We give the STAR reading test to get a general idea, and then adjust them as needed. I disagree with teachers who set one goal for the entire class. It's not good teaching to expect the poorest readers to read as much as the best readers. Likewise, setting one low goal so that everyone can meet it is a disservice to the brightest students.
I am using AR. I am not sure how to use it for differentiation, but it can be motivational for some students. Pizza Hut has given us coupons to use as needed. I give a coupon once a month for the students who score 10/10 on the quiz.
I don't look at individual quizzes as much as I look at their Average Percent Correct. AR says that should be between 85% and 92%. If students consistently get 10 out of 10 on quizzes, they need to be reading harder books. Since my grade is the first year they use AR, I'm lenient at first about letting them read "easy" books, but after we get rolling, I encourage them to read books that will increase their vocabulary and introduce them to new authors and writing techniques. We work to find "just right books" and reinforce this idea.
Those lessons you do on finding the right books are the differentiation part. The quiz and the test score are not. The scores should only be helping teachers know if their kids are choosing the right books or if they need help with comprehension.
Right. And the setting of goals is important too. Helping each student choose the right books, giving them time to read them, and setting goals appropriate to their individual reading ability means that each student has the opportunity to succeed at their own level. Differentiation.
Just to get the students motivated and reading, I start out simple.

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

John Maker commented on Diane Dahl's blog post The Impact of Negative Stress on Learning
"What do you think about premiumjane CBD? I read that the THC is the expansive part, while the CBD reduces stress which will help with learning. They have found that cannabis in general seems to help with gray matter in the brain and elasticity. It…"
58 minutes ago
Jordan Stevenson updated their profile
Oct 2
Profile IconSophia Woodstone, John Maker, Hadeel Elsayed and 17 more joined The Educator's PLN
Sep 26
yahaya Abdullahi shared George Danke's discussion on Facebook
Sep 11
Christine Hinkley updated an event

OLC Innovate 2020 at Sheraton Grand Chicago

March 31, 2020 to April 3, 2020
Together we will build new foundations for stronger, better higher education environments. And because innovation scales best when ideas are shared, our work sessions will explore digital technologies and adapted teaching behaviors aimed at informing policy, inspiring leadership, and evolving practice at all levels impacting institutions, universities and colleges.CALL FOR PROPOSALS OPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30, 2019. LEARN MORE:…See More
Sep 10
yahaya Abdullahi liked George Danke's discussion Integration with The Latest Technology in Education Field
Aug 28
yahaya Abdullahi posted a status
"still working on the integration of ICT in teaching Biology"
Aug 28
Christine Hinkley posted an event

OLC Innovate 2020 at Sheraton Grand Chicago

March 31, 2020 to April 3, 2020
Together we will build new foundations for stronger, better higher education environments. And because innovation scales best when ideas are shared, our work sessions will explore digital technologies and adapted teaching behaviors aimed at informing policy, inspiring leadership, and evolving practice at all levels impacting institutions, universities and colleges.CALL FOR PROPOSALS OPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30, 2019. LEARN MORE:…See More
Aug 19

© 2019   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service