The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

Am investigating how to best educate each student to a level of learning that exceeds her/his aptitude and how this could be done for all students. Believe this goal cannot be attained without ICT playing an essential role but ICT alone is not enough to get there. What is your take on these issues?

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm game.
How do you educate a student to exceed their innate aptitude? If it is possible, wouldn't said student be able to achieve it without the machinations of a program or tutor/teacher?
That is the question I've been asking myself. According to Benjamin Bloom, a child is capable--given optimal educational conditions--of learning two standard deviations above aptitude. Challenge is how one teacher can establish optimal conditions for a classroom of students with disparate aptitudes, learning preferences, and so on.
There is a school of thought and research that intelligence is modifiable (for example, see the work of Reuven Feuerstein). Therefore, innate aptitude takes on a whole new meaning - it changes. From what I understand, Prof. Feuerstein's "Instrumental Enrichment" theory addresses this fully. See http://www.newhorizons.org/strategies/ie/ie.htm
Thanks Jeff. Will check out Prof. Feuerstein's "Instrumental Enrichment" theory.
Have found John Hattie's book Visible Learning (2009) to be of particular value in identifying instructional strategies with greatest potential for helping children attain high levels of learning. Are you familiar with his book?
Here's Adora's perspective on being challenged in the classroom. I think it's a really good viewpoint, and also offers some suggestions, from the student's point of view. Scroll to the blog from December 11th. It's also cross-posted on Ken Royal's blog. Her post shows that even though most student's wouldn't admit it, most want to be challenged. Challenging our students allows them to take control over their own education.
I think this child's perspective, although interesting, is not at all representative or indicative of children in general. That is not to say that children do not want to be challenged; they do. But the issues and challenges in motivating and dealing with children who have been much less successful in school, and therefore the methodologies in approaching them, are enormous. Adding to that children with special needs, language differences, etc., vastly increases the chasm.
Heard of Mobile Education?

I have been doing research for my son in high school and I have seen a post on a blog on Learning Made simple through Mobile- http://louiseduncan.globalteacher.org.au/2010/03/20/mobl21/

Was wondering if you have stumbled upon Mobl21 and if its useful.

- Amanda
Don't forget to take multiple intelligences into account: How to Put Multiple Intelligences to Work in Your Classroom
I think that ICT, like all technologies, are tools, and we as educators must select the right tool for the right job. The desire to make technology as a panacea leads to sloppy practices that, at best, might entertain students but certainly will not educate them.

We must take into account the character of the learning communities within our institutions before ICT can even be implemented. This requires a concerted effort between admin and faculty to characterize the student population through targeted research. When the student population is effectively described, the decision as to which tools are most effective can be made. These choices should not be made in order to replace all tried-and-true methods of assessment but should be employed to extend learning beyond the traditional classroom.

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

yahaya Abdullahi shared George Danke's discussion on Facebook
Wednesday
Christine Hinkley updated an event

OLC Innovate 2020 at Sheraton Grand Chicago

March 31, 2020 to April 3, 2020
Together we will build new foundations for stronger, better higher education environments. And because innovation scales best when ideas are shared, our work sessions will explore digital technologies and adapted teaching behaviors aimed at informing policy, inspiring leadership, and evolving practice at all levels impacting institutions, universities and colleges.CALL FOR PROPOSALS OPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30, 2019. LEARN MORE:…See More
Tuesday
yahaya Abdullahi liked George Danke's discussion Integration with The Latest Technology in Education Field
Aug 28
yahaya Abdullahi posted a status
"still working on the integration of ICT in teaching Biology"
Aug 28
Christine Hinkley posted an event

OLC Innovate 2020 at Sheraton Grand Chicago

March 31, 2020 to April 3, 2020
Together we will build new foundations for stronger, better higher education environments. And because innovation scales best when ideas are shared, our work sessions will explore digital technologies and adapted teaching behaviors aimed at informing policy, inspiring leadership, and evolving practice at all levels impacting institutions, universities and colleges.CALL FOR PROPOSALS OPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30, 2019. LEARN MORE:…See More
Aug 19
George Danke posted a discussion

Integration with The Latest Technology in Education Field

It is with certainty that we can say that the future of education is looking very bright. Today the kids are taught so many new innovations that we adults couldn't have imagined learning at school. They are also given exposure to more practical lessons. Integration with the latest technology and the accessibility to global platforms have made the industry take a whole new perspective towards imparting knowledge to students. Though the current generation is much advanced and keep up with the…See More
Jul 25
George Danke replied to Nanacy Lin's discussion Future Of Education
"Hi! I think that exactly AI will have a great impact on feature of Education. Technologies are rapidly developing and soon there will be tools with the help of which the learning process will be faster and more efficient."
Jul 24
George Danke replied to Shanshan Ma's discussion Personalized learning network and social media
"Hi! I agree that this platform it is a nice place for educators.  However, you can find people and education groups in such social medias as Facebook and Twitter which also can help you to find some useful information.  So, I can not…"
Jul 24

© 2019   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service