The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

On the issue of low frequency of ICT use by teachers, I wonder whether teachers don't integrate ICT into their practice because they don't find it to be essential to their work. For instance, how long would it take a non-using educator to figure out how to use a computer if a cure for illiteracy were put on the Web? Other times I think low use of ICT b y teachers might be due to the cognitive load it creates for them and they don't have enough time and energy to reconcile that load. What do you think?

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some teachers would still balk at using technology even if there was a cure for illiteracy available through technology. I often have to keep in mind that some of the same teachers who balk at technology still find the time to use it personally. It is the extra work that they perceive that they dislike.

“If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite” ~~William Blake
To what extent is cognitive load inhibiting teachers and students from using ICT in ways that significantly improve instruction and learning?

"We see what we know." Goethe
Perhaps the true question is does ICT significantly improve instruction and learning.
ICT does significantly improve the efficiency of instruction. By using the internet and my PLN, I can gain knowledge that would take significantly longer to find in book format. I have access to teachers, authors, poets and academics who have added significantly to my knowledge base.
Teachers who chose to not use ICT in a meaningful way are often IHO the same teachers who use the same lesson plans year after year without adaptation. Who are not trying to teach the students where they currently are as human beings in the 21st century.

I've found that the students who do not adapt quickly to ICT have often been restrained by their parents from using technology. They are understandably wary.
Hi Mark,
My first thought is access to the technology; having only one computer lab shared by the school of 600 students means very limited hours in the lab. Sometimes it's just easier to forgo the trip to the lab and continue the teaching dialog from within your classroom. I think if the computers were dispersed into mini-lab stations around the school, teachers might be more inclined to have small groups using technology in turns. My dream of course is to have a computer for every child all the time! I know, dream on. :)
So in lab setting lots of effort...not enough return.

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Daisy Hastings posted a blog post

How and Why To Get Into National Honor Society

The National Honor Society (NHS) is an organization for the high-school students. It is dedicated to recognizing and appreciating the young ones for their excellent performance at educational establishments. Hence, those who satisfy the membership requirements laid down by the school’s chapter can apply for the NHS membership.How to get into National Honor Society?The first task is to figure out if your school consists of an NHS chapter. And, if it does…See More
Jun 24
Christine Hinkley posted an event

OLC Collaborate Maui at University of Hawaii Maui

September 19, 2019 at 8am to September 20, 2019 at 5pm
Join your fellow digital learning education professionals, educators, and administrators to network with experts and collaborate on solving the challenges we all face in online higher education today. You’ll get the chance to hear from regional experts regarding current and emerging trends in online learning, collaborate and network with your peers during group discussions on top-of-mind challenges that may impact the future of online, blended, and digital learning – and your career.See More
Jun 20
Christine Hinkley posted an event

OLC Collaborate South Carolina at Anderson University

October 10, 2019 all day
Join your fellow digital learning education professionals, educators, and administrators to network with experts and collaborate on solving the challenges we all face in online higher education today. You’ll get the chance to hear from regional experts regarding current and emerging trends in online learning, collaborate and network with your peers during group discussions on top-of-mind challenges that may impact the future of online, blended, and digital learning – and your career.See More
Jun 12
Profile IconJess, Sofia Walmont, Donna Haggerty and 59 more joined The Educator's PLN
Jun 11
mary jo milligan liked steve kurtek's discussion constant arguing among kids
Jun 5
Esther Kang and Eunji Christine Lee are now friends
Jun 3
Esther Kang updated their profile
Jun 3
Suzan Strickler liked Thomas Whitby's blog post What’s the Goal of Education?
Jun 3

© 2019   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service