The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

How can we encourage our students to become innovators?

Base on what Dr. Tony Wagner said, teachers have to encourage teachers to become innovators instead of just consumers. Students should go beyond worrying about only for good grades and learning from failure. However, the system assess students by grades. Isn't it a bit contradictory?

Views: 210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, I know that I personally try to learn from my failures but I am really focused on the grade I have a hard time getting beyind the mark.

Thanks for sharing, Ashley. I think we tend to get used to measure our intelligence by grades that it is hard to encourage students to innovate and create their own products based on what they really learned.

Hi Norma,

I think that if we can make learning authentic, we will encourage students to be innovative in their approaches.  Here is an article I came across in a course I am taking:  http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/eli3009.pdf.  Perhaps it is not always applicable of easy to do, especially when considering the time and subject.  But if you can wrap up several elements together and put a real world application to it, I beleive it will help.

Regards,
Marcel

Hello Marcel,

Thanks for sharing such an interesting article. I agree that sometimes it is not that easy. However, authentic learning gives more real experiences to students and it is true that they now feel more motivated to solve real-world problems. We still have to continue to work on that. Thanks for sharing,

Norma

Today our old classroom education is rapidly replaced by interactive digital approach. Software like Blackboard is innovating not only our class room learning but also brings new dimensions to first hand learning.
Involvement and participation in activities will encourage the children to do something new.

Hey!  Is blackboard a mobile app, or for desktop?

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Nancy Carolina Mendez Melo updated their profile
4 hours ago
Thomas Whitby's video was featured

Community for Creativity, Fayette County Public Schools

Learn about the Community for Creativity 2018- 2019 pilot program for Fayette County Public Schools through this video collaboratively produced by the studen...
Thursday
Thomas Whitby posted a video

Community for Creativity, Fayette County Public Schools

Learn about the Community for Creativity 2018- 2019 pilot program for Fayette County Public Schools through this video collaboratively produced by the studen...
Thursday
andy mellor posted a blog post

Taking control, taking ownership and stepping up!

For some time now I have believed very strongly that the profession should help to regulate and support itself.On Friday Dame Alison Peacock from the Chartered College, Sir Kevan Collins from EEF and I presented to 50+ school leaders in the North West on a vision for more autonomy for schools and more self regulation.I covered the outcome of the NAHT Accountability Commission which talks about school leaders stepping up and taking responsibility for themselves and their peers as quite simply,…See More
Wednesday
Profile IconJinny Christiansen, Tulia and Erin Magagna joined The Educator's PLN
Wednesday

© 2018   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service