The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

How has technology in your classroom impact student learning and achievement?

I am very confident that both student learning and achievement can significantly improve when classroom technology is successfully implemented. 

Views: 781

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lenni, it was interesting to read that most college students encounter the most exposure in emailing, word processing, and social media.  I was surprised and I believe it should be more advance technologies. 

The original question is:  "How has technology in your classroom impact student learning and achievement?"

I am a great fan of educational technology, but I am seeing very little evidence in terms of measurable outcomes. Does anyone know of any research which address the question of the impact of edutech on learning and achievement?

I am part of an informal study ghroup that are trying to address the question more scietifically, so if anyone has any leads, I would appreciate them immensely.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I agree. It is seen that technology can enhance learning, but there is little measurable evidence. I am collecting research at the moment for my studies and there are a lot of case studies and best practice guidance, but little on measurable outcomes. Listed below are some of the more suitable research papers I have found so far:

Heaton-Shrestha, Celayne, May, Steve and Burke, Linda(2009)'Student retention in higher education: what role for virtual learning environments?',Journal of Further and Higher Education,33:1,83 — 92

David Mathew (2011): The absence of ‘e’: the role of the Internet in two
distance learning programmes, Research in Post-Compulsory Education, 16:4, 479-488

Akkoyunlu, B., & Soylu, M. Y. (2008). A Study of Student’s Perceptions in a Blended Learning Environment Based on Different Learning Styles. Educational Technology & Society, 11 (1), 183-193.

I am still looking so I will keep you informed :-) 

Dennis,

I have the following articles that may interest you:

Kadijevich, D. M. (2012). TPCK framework: assessing teachers' knowledge and designing           courses for their professional development. British Journal Of Educational Technology43(1), E28-E30. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8535.2011.01246.x

Yamamoto, J. (2009). PEDAGOGY AND CONTENT KNOWLEDGE BASED PODCASTING PROJECT FOR PRESERVICE TEACHERS. Proceedings Of The IADIS International Conference On Cognition & Exploratory Learning In Digital Age, 189-195.

Yamamoto, J. (2010). FUTURE TEACHERS' REFLECTIONS ON TEACHING TECHNOLOGY: WHAT DID THEY LEARN FROM SERVICE-LEARNING?. Proceedings Of The IADIS International Conference On WWW/Internet, 137-144.

Lenni, thanks for the three journal articles.

Hi Dennis:

I would like to know a little more about the informal study group you are involved with.  It sounds very interesting.  Would it be possible for you to share some information with me?  Thanks!!

@Ricahrd, @Lenni,

Thank you both very much for the references! I will post what I find as well.

I agree David, if technology is implemented correctly and monitored it can be highly beneficial for students as well as motivating.

Yes, Audra.  Technology can transform learning into so many possibilities for students.  Motivation can shape many students' lives, especially when learning is more meaningful to them. 

David I agree, with technology becoming a large portion of our student's lives, it most certainly improve both student learning and acheivement.

That is correct, Audra.  When these two areas are enhanced with technology, education can be taken to the next level.

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Jordan Stevenson updated their profile
Oct 2
Profile IconSophia Woodstone, John Maker, Hadeel Elsayed and 17 more joined The Educator's PLN
Sep 26
yahaya Abdullahi shared George Danke's discussion on Facebook
Sep 11
Christine Hinkley updated an event

OLC Innovate 2020 at Sheraton Grand Chicago

March 31, 2020 to April 3, 2020
Together we will build new foundations for stronger, better higher education environments. And because innovation scales best when ideas are shared, our work sessions will explore digital technologies and adapted teaching behaviors aimed at informing policy, inspiring leadership, and evolving practice at all levels impacting institutions, universities and colleges.CALL FOR PROPOSALS OPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30, 2019. LEARN MORE:…See More
Sep 10
yahaya Abdullahi liked George Danke's discussion Integration with The Latest Technology in Education Field
Aug 28
yahaya Abdullahi posted a status
"still working on the integration of ICT in teaching Biology"
Aug 28
Christine Hinkley posted an event

OLC Innovate 2020 at Sheraton Grand Chicago

March 31, 2020 to April 3, 2020
Together we will build new foundations for stronger, better higher education environments. And because innovation scales best when ideas are shared, our work sessions will explore digital technologies and adapted teaching behaviors aimed at informing policy, inspiring leadership, and evolving practice at all levels impacting institutions, universities and colleges.CALL FOR PROPOSALS OPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30, 2019. LEARN MORE:…See More
Aug 19
George Danke posted a discussion

Integration with The Latest Technology in Education Field

It is with certainty that we can say that the future of education is looking very bright. Today the kids are taught so many new innovations that we adults couldn't have imagined learning at school. They are also given exposure to more practical lessons. Integration with the latest technology and the accessibility to global platforms have made the industry take a whole new perspective towards imparting knowledge to students. Though the current generation is much advanced and keep up with the…See More
Jul 25

© 2019   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service