The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

So I have a dilemma. 

I work with Indigenous staff in remote communities in Australia. Amongst other challenges to up skilling our staff we also contend with varied voices on whether or not Education Support workers should be undertaking Certificate III in Education support if they have poor literacy and numeracy. 

The jury is out on this topic and many are really interested. Any thoughts are much appreciated. 

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is there anthing in place or being looked into, such as a program that could upgrade the literacy and numercay skills of future support workers, which then becomes the prerequisite in order to enroll in the certificate program you mentioned?

You are on the dot Adele. We are looking at incorporating literacy and numeracy skills into professional standards and job descriptions.

Also we are working with existing support staff who are already enrolled to provide literacy and numeracy support on the ground.

Great to hear you were already looking into this.. We had the same problem with our Educational Assistants (EAs) and the upgrading program did wonders and gave many a chance for employment in their home communities.. win- win situation all around.

:-))

Hi David

This link will give you some idea about Certificate III in Education Support. 

Yes our remote communities do have funding for their education programs, we have schools in all our remote communities in the Northern Territory where I live and work. 

The reasons for Indigenous staff having poor literacy and numeracy are complex and many but one of the most obvious ones I suppose is that they speak English as a second, third or almost foreign language. When the role began it was more for providing a link between the white teachers and the aboriginal students and community than for academic purposes. The role has evolved and now we are working towards enhanced career pathways and opportunities for Indigenous staff. This requires a higher level of literacy and numeracy in most cases than what they possess. 

Cheers

Renu

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

andy mellor updated their profile
Feb 17
andy mellor posted a blog post

Catch up or recovery?

I've been intrigued by the language of "catch up" which has come from government ministers and even the Children's Commissioner. The idea that lockdown has resulted in lost learning and a widening of the gap can't be disputed but it is the solutions put forward by government which has revealed the reductive nature of the government's attitude to learning and to young people. To reduce education and learning to an accumulation of facts devoid from any contextual influence is just simply naive.…See More
Feb 17
andy mellor is now friends with Hos-Na Salehi, Steve McCracken and Sandra Trach
Feb 17
Steve Brandidge updated their profile
Jan 28
Dennis Dunn updated their profile
Jan 26
John Braswell posted a blog post

What is Your Essay Definition, Explain by Essay Writer?

Essay Definition can vary widely depending on the Person DefiningEssay definition can be different depending on the source. The narrowest definition of essay is “a short piece of writing on a particular subject”, as appearing in Oxford Dictionary. Most common form of essay is written in prose. In practice, essays are regarded as short pieces of writing, though there are some exceptions like John Locke’s” An essay concerning human understanding”. In its broadest sense, definition of essay…See More
Dec 9, 2020
Agnes Mckenna updated their profile
Dec 2, 2020
Eleonore Cowan updated their profile
Dec 2, 2020

Events

© 2021   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service