The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

UPDATE: We have no IMMEDIATE need for more mentors to sign up, as the project is wrapping up and I've had lots of willing participants (thank you!). However, we do this every semester, so anyone can continue to sign up by clicking on the linked form in my initial post. We'd love to have you!

--------------------------------

For the past 4 semesters, I have embarked on this project with my graduate preservice teachers enrolled in the course, Introduction to Educational Technology, on learning to get connected and to participate in many different ways with the wonderful and passionate educators all over the globe. Issues like trust and privacy are difficult for them to conquer, as their concept of such tools is largely clouded by the negative press that is continually sensationalized regarding virtual communication. So, in order to provide my students with (1) an authentic opportunity to learn and use Skype, and (2) connect with an educator and have a meaningful discussion about issues surrounding education today, this project continues to leave a significant impression on them. If you would like to partner with us and possibly have such a conversation with one (or two) of my students, we'd love to have you!

If you sign up, one of my students may contact you via email to negotiate a common time that works to have a conversation with you over Skype. As an education partner, your role will help with carrying and directing a conversation with one (or two) of my graduate students around themes of curriculum, pedagogy, equity, technology, and other related topics. No specified length is required; simply a conversation of substance and consequence. Let the conversation progress naturally and end it when it makes sense to do so. For many of my students, this is an entirely new and risky endeavor for them, so they may be nervous. However, this experience in the past has proven to be a very powerful and important one for them, so thank you for being willing to partner with us in this way. If you have any questions, you can tweet me @ransomtech or email me at ransomtech<at>gmail.com Students may begin contacting you by the second week of April 2012 and their conversation needs to be completed by the end of April, 2012.

You can sign up here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG52U0VRaEt3bm...

Views: 208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've completed the form and am happy to help, Some of your students may also be interested in attending our online Moodle Meets (1 week, asynchronous). My topic is next -- we're doing Smartboards and Notebook software (don't need a board to participate), but there are other interesting topics coming up as well. Here are several blog links:

Thanks so much, Sue!

I look forward to hearing from your students. I have filled out the information on google docs. If it does not go through let me know at captdan<at>gmail.com

Talk to you soon.

Thanks, Dan. We have more volunteers than I have students. What a great problem to have ;-)

No worries I am available if you wish to make use of me. You did not have a section for nation on your firm I teach in Northern Alberta Canada. It sounds like a really great project. Good luck I look forward to hearing how you make out with the project.

Skype in School

Don't know if you have seen this but it's great for making connections!

Thanks, Sharon. I have a number of such resources. Glad to see that there are indeed more.

UPDATE: We have no IMMEDIATE need for more mentors to sign up, as the project is wrapping up and I've had lots of willing participants (thank you!). However, we do this every semester, so anyone can continue to sign up by clicking on the linked form in my initial post. We'd love to have you!

@Stephan -- I heard from a student of yours on the 17th and responded to her gmail address right away. I'm wondering if perhaps my email landed in her junk box. That sometimes happens and I would not want her to think I had ignored her request as I know it was probably time-sensitive. If she's just been busy and has not had time to check, no worries. But if my message was lost, pls. let her know I'd be happy to complete the Skype call at her convenience. I'm in Australia, but am happy to be available at a time that works for her. Thx.

Thanks, Sue. I just sent her an email to let her know.

Just spent a lovely hour chatting about teaching math in an inner city school with my 'partner'. Thanks for the experience. If any of your students would like to attend an online webinar in using Smartboards to differentiate instruction and work with special needs students, here's the link to the Elluminate room http://bit.ly/djnDpq. 5pm PDT (8om Eastern) on April 23.

Fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and experience, Sue! This is what I love about this little project! I'll pass on the webinar info. to them.

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Andrew Johnson liked Richard Wood's discussion How to reach young people (13-25 years) with important Health and Safety messages.
4 hours ago
Andrew Johnson liked Torrey Trust's discussion K-12 Tech Tools
4 hours ago
Andrew Johnson liked Richard Wood's discussion NEW and Free online resource for English spelling practice...
4 hours ago
andrew aker commented on Mark Waghorne's group Resources for EFL teachers
"Hi Effie, what specific challenges are you facing now?"
5 hours ago
andrew aker liked Mark Waghorne's group Resources for EFL teachers
5 hours ago
andrew aker commented on David Kapuler's group Edtech
"Does anyone here know much about teaching with Minecraft? :D"
5 hours ago
andrew aker commented on David Kapuler's group Edtech
"Hi David, thanks for creating this group!"
5 hours ago
Profile Iconandrew aker and Andrew Johnson joined David Kapuler's group
Thumbnail

Edtech

A group where educators can learn and identify which Educational Technology tools are appropriate for them.I'm hoping to simplify this process for educators and am open to any feedback (organization, specific sites, beta vs ready, etc etc.)See More
5 hours ago

Awards And Nominations

© 2014   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service