The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

I'm trying to compile a reading list. Looking for 'getting started' or '1st years in teaching' sort of books as well as 'classics'. I'm a secondary english preservice teacher, so anything specific to that would be appreciated :)

Views: 1951

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Letters to a Young Teacher - Jonathan Kozol (I use this with undergrad elementary education majors and they have all loved the book and the great information - wonderful springboard for discussion and reflection)
Courage to Teach - Parker Palmer
I am currently reading Letters! love it :) i'll look up courage to teach :)
thanks so much for the recommendations!
-bonnie
Subjects Matter: Every Teacher's Guide to Content-Area Reading by Harvey Daniels and Steven Zemelman

It talks about reading across the curriculum, and provides both before, during and after reading strategies, and a list of books that your future students might be interested in.
The Book of Learning and Forgetting by Frank Smith. No teacher should enter a classroom having not read this book.
Summarization in Any Subject by Rick Wormeli gives 50 practical techniques for helping students and teachers summarize key learning ideas. Often students are asked to summarize, but rarely do teachers show how to do this. I find this book to be a great resource. A secong book is the Art and Science of Teaching. Both of these ASCD books would be great for a group to read and discuss over a semester or school year.
Classroom Instruction that Works - Robert Marzano
Thank you for this forum!  I just got hired for my first job at an 8th grade MS for language arts and am looking for guidance.  These book suggestions are great and I've started reading a couple.  I'm a huge fan of Wormeli and recommend Day One and Beyond.
Alison, congratulations on your new job!  These are hard times to find teaching jobs so I applaud you!  A wonderful resource for you would be NCTE's web site readwritethink.org - you will find wonderful vetted lessons there.  Have a wonderful year!
Thank you, Jane! I'm very excited. I've used readwritethink.org before and it's great. Thanks for the previous suggestion of Summarization in Any Subject. I love Wormeli and it looks like a good one.
Wall Of Fame: One Teacher, One Class, and the Power to Save Schools and Transform Lives by Jonathan Freeman is historical narrative about AVID founder, Mary Catherine Swanson, who started the program to help disenfranchised learners succeed in rigorous classes. AVID is one of few proven programs that closes achievement gaps.

Best,
Julian

Harry Wong   First day of School is a must!  We give it to all of our first year teachers.

The Teacher's Toolbox for Differentiating Instruction by Linda Tilton is wonderful--tons of ideas  Web address is www.nprinc.com  Chapters include:  Taming the Paper Monster; Accountability, Responsibility. Results; The alternate Route; and 10 more great chapters.

The other books I use are "Reading Strategies for the Content Areas" Vol 1 and 2 by Sue Beers   Great activities--Vol 2 is better for the High School classes although I do use both.

Those are my bibles even after 30 years!  Good Luck!

What Really Matters in Fluency; Research-based practices across the curriculum. by Richard L. Allington.  Mr. Allington has an entire series of books to help students who are struggling in reading. 

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

David Chiles updated their profile
yesterday
David Chiles posted a video
yesterday
Profile IconKaren D Honeycutt, Jessica J Lenhart, Erin and 11 more joined The Educator's PLN
yesterday
Thomas Whitby's blog post was featured

Where’s the Silver Lining for Education?

With the cloud of the Corona Virus hanging over us and growing by the hour, it is difficult to see any silver lining. Health and safety are our greatest concerns. The stakes are high and the consequences may be fatal to too many. Anything I discuss here shouldIn the past, many discussions by several education leaders have sometimes suggested the idea of education reform…See More
Friday
Thomas Whitby posted a blog post

Where’s the Silver Lining for Education?

With the cloud of the Corona Virus hanging over us and growing by the hour, it is difficult to see any silver lining. Health and safety are our greatest concerns. The stakes are high and the consequences may be fatal to too many. Anything I discuss here shouldIn the past, many discussions by several education leaders have sometimes suggested the idea of education reform…See More
Friday
Christine Hinkley posted an event

OLC Accelerate 2020 at Walt Disneyworld Swan & Dolphin Resort

November 17, 2020 at 8am to November 20, 2020 at 5pm
The OLC Accelerate conference emphasizes the most innovative and impactful research and effective practices in the field of online, digital and blended learning. Supporting administrators, designers, and educators alike, Accelerate offers a comprehensive list of sessions and activities tailored to addressing the challenges and goals of our entire community. Our curation of conference tracks and exhibits promises a cross-section of the prime topics in our field, offering exciting programming…See More
Mar 18
Christine Hinkley updated an event

OLC Innovate 2020 - Virtual Conference at Online

June 15, 2020 to June 26, 2020
Together we will build new foundations for stronger, better higher education environments. And because innovation scales best when ideas are shared, our work sessions will explore digital technologies and adapted teaching behaviors aimed at informing policy, inspiring leadership, and evolving practice at all levels impacting institutions, universities and colleges.See More
Mar 18
Daniela McVicker liked Thomas Whitby's blog post Is Online Learning The Answer For The Coronavirus Closed Schools?
Mar 16

© 2020   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service