The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

Pros and cons: Using Diigo/Delicious vs ScoopIt/Pinterest with students

With the advent of more visual social bookmarking/curation tools, what are the pros and cons of using Diigo/Delicious vs ScoopIt/Pinterest with students?

I am a visual learner who has been using Delicious and then Diigo for years.  They are great tools, but ever since ScoopIt hit the scene and now Pinterest, I am changing my mind.  What do others think regarding using these tools with students? 

I am leaning toward Pinterest because it looks 'cleaner' to me than ScoopIt.  The interface is very easy as is the ability to organize content.  I also like having choice regarding what image represents the content making it more personal than a simple tag.  Question, does ScoopIt allow for more than one ScoopIt page to be displayed at a time like Pinterest does?  I am beginning to see more and more educators using ScoopIt and Pinterest for themselves.  I would like to see more examples of using them with students.  Lots of potential, here.  Thoughts?

Views: 1731

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK - I never have been a follower of fashion so in spite of the fact that millions seem to be flocking to Pinterest I still like Evernote / Diigo because I can find things again! A Pinterest board with too many pins? No hope of finding a particular site.

Personally I think ScoopIt looks way more professional than Pinterest. ScoopIt on the other hand is too expensive once beyond the free (and quite limited) version and Pinterest is free.

I find the posts I have read re Pinterest / copyright alarming.

I remain unconvinced!

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Jamie Costello posted a blog post

3 Best Educational Apps for Student

When we think of mobile phones in the classroom, it tends to be a forbidden subject as teachers found them as a distraction against education. Parents and teachers would do anything to prevent the use of smartphones in the classroom.  Now we’re seeing a different outlook on the benefits of mobile phones in the classroom. In particular, mobile app development is shedding a light on how mobile phones can actually be the key to educational…See More
Sep 30
Agnes Mckenna updated their profile
Sep 29
Eleonore Cowan updated their profile
Sep 29
Miles Brandon updated their profile
Sep 28
mario barker updated their profile
Sep 28
cal bates updated their profile
Sep 28
yahaya Abdullahi liked Steven W. Anderson's page Other Cool Education Sites
Sep 25
yahaya Abdullahi liked Ruth Herman Wells's event Portland OR Teacher Classroom Management Course
Sep 25

© 2020   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service