The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

This network has 214 (215 with this) discussions forums and a very poor participation from the 5,358 members. Why is that?

Views: 146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are some discussions that are quite active. Others may not have topics of interest to a large number of educators.There are also more specific continuing discussions within a number of groups.
Thanks Thomas for taking the time to reply.
I agree with your answer.
It was just to start contributing.
I was reading a few of them, they are really interesting.
I promise I'll contribute quite often.
Warm regards!
Hi Mike,
You're right, I completely agree with you.
Also, we sometimes feel our participations or contributions might not be at the height of the other ones and keep ourselves from providing perhaps a different perspective that could be better or helpful.
It's a pleasure to have the chance to learn from others.
Warm regards!
This is quite normal for any platform. People look for a platform, join and some will contribute more and others probably gain by reading what others say and are too shy to contribute themselves. Also there are so many discussion forums around that people might run out of time to be actively engaged. This is one my favourite sites but I haven't been able to explore it fully yet, leave alone contribute in a meaningful way.
Hello Ren,
Thanks for replying. What you say about being quite normal in any platform is true. Most of us behave differently but it is also true that we gain by reading, we construct knowledge from others.
It's been a pleasure.
Warm regards!
I noticed shortly after joining that there is not much interaction and those of us who are beginners are afraid to get involved with fear of appearing not as educated or experienced as others. I'll try harder.
Hi Wendy,
I agree with you but I must tell you that it is a wrong decision since we may gain a lot more by participating.
It's a pleasure, thanks for replying.
Warm regards!

I think this site is marvellous. We have a site with 67 geography teachers and we have closed the membership in order to suvey members about how the site is going. Follow up interviews are also being conducted. Once our research is complete Dr Paul Keown (University of Waikato) and I will write about why our members participated and or contributed and of course why members did not participate. Will let you know our results!
Participation in this site is good from a few members but many people come on the site and take. They don't realize that by contributing they are learning. The greatest learning frequently occurs when we take risks.

Thank you very much to so many of you that have spent many hours making this site so up to date and quite brilliant.
Hi Janey,
This is great news!
I agree with you in learning by participating. For me it is one of the best and most helpful ways to learn, learning by doing is another one that is really close related to the participation issue.
I would like to know the results of your research.
Warm regards!
Love the graphic
I was wondering the same thing. I'm a member of another PLN--Elementary Tech Teachers--and it's quite busy. I think maybe it's more hands-on, less esoteric, not better or worse. I found this PLN because I get so much out of the ETT PLN, I wanted to replicate it. TIE, another PLN I am a member of, also has a low participation.

What are your thoughts on why?
Hi Jacqui,
Thanks for replying and asking.
I think people love lurking, they interact or react to a post or discussion unexpectedly, according to a little research a friend of mine did a few months ago.

Why do you say it is esoteric?

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Alice Thomas posted a blog post

Why is it so important to write a quality MBA essay?

Writing a persuasive and quality MBA essay is one of the essential stages in the MBA application process. It is an examination phrase where you have to include different information in your essay. This article will explain the importance of writing a quality MBA essay and provide insights into the explored topic. Suppose you require the right information about writing quality MBA essays and improve your general understanding. In that case, you are in the appropriate location because this…See More
Friday
Profile IconMaxBurton, Andrew Hickman, Ellis Leigh and 9 more joined The Educator's PLN
Thursday
Jamie Costello posted a blog post

Top tips to increase your productivity through your study room

We’re stuck at home with limited access to many public spaces outdoors, including libraries, co-working spaces and educational institutions. These are just some examples of study areas you may utilise when you need a change in scenery to keep yourself engaged whilst you’re studying. Now, we’re being forced within the four walls of our home which means creating a workspace or room has never been more important. The learning environment that students work in can have a major impact on…See More
Nov 10
Profile IconWalter Holz, Sarah Kerttu, Gaby Eyzaguirre and 5 more joined The Educator's PLN
Nov 4
john smith updated their profile
Oct 30
Jamie Costello posted a blog post

3 Best Educational Apps for Student

When we think of mobile phones in the classroom, it tends to be a forbidden subject as teachers found them as a distraction against education. Parents and teachers would do anything to prevent the use of smartphones in the classroom.  Now we’re seeing a different outlook on the benefits of mobile phones in the classroom. In particular, mobile app development is shedding a light on how mobile phones can actually be the key to educational…See More
Sep 30
Agnes Mckenna updated their profile
Sep 29
Eleonore Cowan updated their profile
Sep 29

Events

© 2020   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service