The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

Technology educational affordance: Bridging the gap between patterns of interaction and technology usage

I read and reviewed a very interesting research article about the higher education online learning environment.  Technology educational affordance helps to bridge technology and instructional goals.  The article addressed the interaction of technology and discussion as  essential components.  Technological environments (technology tools/participants and resources in education) help to form educators' discussions.  The study found important interactions in different online learning activities and also the relationship to technology tools. As directly stated from the article, "The technological design influenced the differential appearance of educational uses of ICT and patterns of educational interaction in each of the three learning activities that were analyzed.  The pedagogical design of each learning activity also influenced the appearance of diverse profiles of ICT use and patterns of educational interaction.  We also showed that each learning activity possessed a group of very diverse learning actions which were characteristic of each learning activity."  Higher ed. online learning activities will meet unique learning styles of all learners by differentiating instructional needs.  Also, online learning activities and discussions from learners will help to narrow the gap, when meaningful online dialogue is the central point.   

Badia, A. Barbera, E., Guasch, T., & Espasa, A., (2011). Technology  educational affordance: Bridging the gap between patterns of interaction and technology usage. Digital Education Review, 19, 20-35.

Views: 262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks very much for sharing this, I am looking forward to reading the article later today.

Thanks, Dennis.  I appreciate your interest in this particular article.  I found it to be an interesting article to post.

I agree with this article's findings. Interaction is a key component of successful online courses. However, interesting online activity and discussion features are often excluded for the sake of building a cheaper and more efficient course. It is important to find the proper balance of technologies that afford students the opportunity to interact even though they are not meeting face to face. Thanks for adding this article!

Thanks, Sasha.  I agree, the balance of technologies is important to help promote the discussion of online students.  It is unfortunate when other online communication components are not included into the design of a program that fosters online dialogue.  

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Jamie Costello posted a blog post

3 Best Educational Apps for Student

When we think of mobile phones in the classroom, it tends to be a forbidden subject as teachers found them as a distraction against education. Parents and teachers would do anything to prevent the use of smartphones in the classroom.  Now we’re seeing a different outlook on the benefits of mobile phones in the classroom. In particular, mobile app development is shedding a light on how mobile phones can actually be the key to educational…See More
yesterday
Agnes Mckenna updated their profile
Tuesday
Eleonore Cowan updated their profile
Tuesday
Miles Brandon updated their profile
Tuesday
mario barker updated their profile
Monday
cal bates updated their profile
Monday
yahaya Abdullahi liked Steven W. Anderson's page Other Cool Education Sites
Sep 25
yahaya Abdullahi liked Ruth Herman Wells's event Portland OR Teacher Classroom Management Course
Sep 25

© 2020   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service