The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

With so many Nings, PLNs, forums, blogs, websites and as a relative newcomer to blogging... Where do you think is the best place to blog, or do you separate your thoughts, comments and questions according to the site?  There are advantages to both, but I just wonder what your own personal experiences are...

Views: 316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I personally love that my Ed Tech Master's requires us to blog during out studies. They suggested wordpress.com to us in the beginning of my coursework. I have been very impressed with this blogging tool so far. You can embed multimedia, video, photos and images, links, widgets, polls, etc. Check it out. My personal blog is patriciasmeyers.wordpress.com. Feel free to take a peak and share your thoughts with me.

Great blogging!
Thanks for your response Patricia. You can check out my blog too, while we're exchanging! http://colintgraham.wordpress.com/ My point is more concerned with the self-diaspora we can potentially create by having umpteen different sites versus the idea of members of our network coming to one central place, such as a single blog or website. There is a danger of repeating yourself or of not being seen as a whole if you spread things out too much, and likewise a danger of becoming too isolated if you only have one or two sites. I think the question I am asking is: at what point do you say "enough"?
Great point. I have a blog, a twitter, and just joined this site. Plus, with the many email addresses we have- the one for "work" and then our "personal" email accounts, it seems there are too many places...

For me, I use my blog to put OUT information. This info. can be for other educators, but mainly focuses on the parents of my students with special needs. Feel free to check that out at http://staff.bbhcsd.org/kolism.

I use the other sites- twitter, this PLN- to educate myself. I read articles posted there to improve my instruction and PLN. This is where I take information IN.

I guess it depends on your purpose...
Aha, sorry for the misunderstanding. I agree with you here. Isolation makes it hard to a voice heard. A group as a whole would make for an interesting and educational resource. I will check out your site. I always love to learn from others.
Being new to blogging, Blogspot is the the most convenient platform to start with, most user friendly.

Thereafter Wordpress is a good platform to scale to.

Can consider checking out Mahalo, though its not a blogging platform strictly - http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-write-a-mahalo-page
Please read the question carefully before responding.
Hi Colin,

I agree...there are so many places share your thoughts and I find that there is no "one size fits all" place. I have a personal blog as well as accounts on many Nings, etc. I am also the Community Manager for the HP Teacher Experience Exchange . You are more than welcome to post your thoughts on that site. We have thousands and thousands of members all over the world. I think if you do not have your own blog currently, start off by posting on various sites...maybe pick two or three (Teachers Experience Exchange, Educator's PLN and Clasroom 2.0). Yes, I tend to separate my thoughts according to the site. Once you are in the groove, then start your own blog. We can all help you with that.

Thanks
Mark
Highly recommend using Blogger. Stick with Google! They have a one stop shop to a number of things.
I think it really depends on the purpose behind the blog. I use both Blogger and Wordpress. I have a personal account with Blogger - I've had it since I was 16 and I liked it because the interface was very intuitive. As I have grown older and moved away from home, the personal blog informs and keep my family and friends updated w/ daily news. Many of them aren't tech savvy so the simple Blogger interface works well for them. I use Wordpress for professional accounts and I like it because of the WYSIWYG editor. Other than that, it's harder to install widgets or customize layouts than the Blogger platform (using free service, not paid or Edublog). If it wasn't for this limitation, Wordpress would've gotten all my votes. Both blogging platforms essentially are used to share information with others (family news, reflections, edtech links, etc).

As for other input/output platforms: I use Twitter to share edu/edtech links and find help quickly; I use Nings for longer conversations/suggestions; and I use Wikis to display/show information.
You really need to try posterous as well. The ability to make blogging as easy as possible is important. There is virtually no barrier to entry with such a simple system.
I agree that Wordpress has the most variety in functionality, templates, design choices, etc. But for pure simplicity, Blogger seems to be easiest.

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Julia Galkina updated their profile
yesterday
John Maker commented on Thomas Whitby's video
Thumbnail

Dan Pink on Motivation in Business.

"Great video! I also want to ask question about accounting for business. I read that modern companies prefer to hire remote accountants for tax filing and other work. Is it good variant? I have small business in Singapore and I want to try services…"
Monday
Ruth Herman Wells posted an event

Portland OR Teacher Classroom Management Course at Courtyard by Marriott

October 8, 2020 to October 9, 2020
Management problems in the classroom ends here. This Teacher Classroom Management Course delivers hundreds of strategies for students who struggle with motivation, depression, work refusal, violence and more. Visit our website https://www.youthchg.com for more information, or via email (dwells@youthchg.com) or call toll-free to 1-800-545-5736See More
Nov 13
Kelly Leon posted blog posts
Nov 12
Kathy Huntley posted a blog post

Alcohol dependence

Alcohol dependence has become an epidemic in the 21st century. According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, 2.45 % of men and 5.78% of women consume alcohol daily. Every year, alcohol misuse causes the deaths of 2.5 million people. The problem of alcoholism is getting commonsense, and that is scary. Almost everyone has an experience of dealing with people who suffer from alcohol misuse. The following research will show signs of the addiction and methods of its treatment…See More
Nov 9
Profile IconRachelle Fender, Kelly Leon, Rosie Del Tejo Williamson and 7 more joined The Educator's PLN
Nov 9
Thomas Whitby's 2 videos were featured
Nov 9
Thomas Whitby posted videos
Nov 9

© 2019   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service