The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

I have been using the Wii whiteboard for about a year now. There are limitations, but I have been pretty successful at integrating it into my lessons. With the free activeinspire software, the pen function on PowerPoint, and Windows journal on my tablet pc.

I have set up several other teachers and given a district wide presentation. I think other schools are beginning to pick up this technology.

If you have used this at all, please let me know how you are using it.

Views: 315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Tater

I am interested to hear more about the use of Wii Whitboard - I have worked with Wii in different areas but never used the whiteboard. Could you post some more detailed description of how you´ve used it?

Thank´s

/Gudmundur
Johnny Lee came up with the idea of using a Wii remote and an Infrared pen as a smart board. Here are a couple of links on that:

http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/
http://www.ted.com/talks/johnny_lee_demos_wii_remote_hacks.html

There is a better interface program than Johnny Lee's program here:

http://www.uweschmidt.org/wiimote-whiteboard

IR pens can be bought or made relatively easy. Just Google ir pens.

I use my set up quite a bit. I have my Wii mounted next to my projector in the ceiling. I have gone away from batteries by using the quick USB battery eliminator. I have also hooked up a remote control so I do not need to stand on a chair to push the 1 & 2 buttons to connect the remote to my computer.

I use mine during presentations to annotate. There is a pen function in PowerPoint that works real well. Students can use this too. I have them work problems using Windows Journal and my tablet PC. You can even ask questions with a PowerPoint and have student come up and write their answers.

I am always looking for new ways to use this setup. I am giving an in-service on this in my district. If anyone has any ideas, please share.

My principal saw this and liked it so much that she bought 10 to put in classrooms.
Also, you will need a bluetooth connection.
I tried but could not get it to work right. We went and bought the commercial version of the same technology - the eno board.
There are definitely limitations with the Wii system, and being user friendly is one of them. I have had to play with mine quite a bit to get where I am, but I now use it almost daily.

Lets face it, whatever technology we use should be user friendly and work for each individual. It should also be reliable. I hope your eno board fits that description and works well for you.

Good luck.
I've been using it successfully for two years. This year, I actually trained a group of 3/4 teachers as well. While it adds a small cost, the Smoothboard software for Windows is really outstanding.
We are looking for a way to use the exercise board to surf google earth. My son used this for his middle school project so check out Johnny Lee's site for new ways to use this. I will fill you in on the google earth project. It will be cool if it works. I know Johnny was working on finger recognition and 3-D functions.

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

John Maker commented on Diane Dahl's blog post The Impact of Negative Stress on Learning
"What do you think about premiumjane CBD? I read that the THC is the expansive part, while the CBD reduces stress which will help with learning. They have found that cannabis in general seems to help with gray matter in the brain and elasticity. It…"
yesterday
Jordan Stevenson updated their profile
Oct 2
Profile IconSophia Woodstone, John Maker, Hadeel Elsayed and 17 more joined The Educator's PLN
Sep 26
yahaya Abdullahi shared George Danke's discussion on Facebook
Sep 11
Christine Hinkley updated an event

OLC Innovate 2020 at Sheraton Grand Chicago

March 31, 2020 to April 3, 2020
Together we will build new foundations for stronger, better higher education environments. And because innovation scales best when ideas are shared, our work sessions will explore digital technologies and adapted teaching behaviors aimed at informing policy, inspiring leadership, and evolving practice at all levels impacting institutions, universities and colleges.CALL FOR PROPOSALS OPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30, 2019. LEARN MORE:…See More
Sep 10
yahaya Abdullahi liked George Danke's discussion Integration with The Latest Technology in Education Field
Aug 28
yahaya Abdullahi posted a status
"still working on the integration of ICT in teaching Biology"
Aug 28
Christine Hinkley posted an event

OLC Innovate 2020 at Sheraton Grand Chicago

March 31, 2020 to April 3, 2020
Together we will build new foundations for stronger, better higher education environments. And because innovation scales best when ideas are shared, our work sessions will explore digital technologies and adapted teaching behaviors aimed at informing policy, inspiring leadership, and evolving practice at all levels impacting institutions, universities and colleges.CALL FOR PROPOSALS OPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30, 2019. LEARN MORE:…See More
Aug 19

© 2019   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service