The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

There are many varieties of alternative education programs. Private out of district placements, public school within in a school models, public- separate site models and many other variations. I have had the opportunity to supervise two alternative education programs; one in an urban area (middle school) and one in an affluent area (high school).

I'm interested in what other educators consider to be innovative and essential components to alternative education programs. For instance, what do your class sizes look like? What type of work/career components do you have?

Also, are you familiar with any effective twi-light (after school) alternative program. For instance, at the high school level, students may engage in a work study program during the day, then come to school after the normal school hours to receive their core academic subjects?

Thanks,

Ray

Views: 49

Replies to This Discussion

We have an alternative charter high school in a separate building from our other three traditional high schools. There are five alternative programs within our building and I teach 12th grade credit deficient students in the senior credit program. They attend school three hours per day, work in a paid employment position 20 hours per week and volunteer 20 hours per semester in the community. If all requirements are met (including 25 credits to graduate from the school district), the students graduate with their class at their home high school. There are three academic shifts: 8-11, 12-3, and 4-7 if needed. We base our discipline philosophy on the Circle of Courage: Belonging, Mastery, Generosity, and Independence. (Brendtro and Brokenleg) We have very few discipline issues due to an atmosphere of respect and a priority in establishing positive relationships with the students from day one.
Julia,
Thanks for sharing. Your program seems interesting so I have a few questions for you if you don't mind:
Are the academic credit requirements the same for your students as students in the traditional h.s.?
Is the program for special education and general education students?
Also, does a staff member from your program monitor student performance at the work site?
Any on-line learning? And lastly, what types of novels do your students read?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks,
Ray

I operate a school within a school program in an urban area that functions during twilight hours.  Our program has all core subjects and includes others such as health, physical education, art appreciation, and life skills.  We also offer honors level as well as AP level courses in some subjects.  All students must participate in a community internship program each year which involves them working/volunteering in the larger community in order to successfully graduate.

To me, the most important component of any alternative program is the staff.  Alternative teachers must be the best teachers you can find in your district . Connecting with alternative populations requires strong and flexible staff who are not swayed by the daily inconsistencies we get with alternative students.  Second, a competency based mode of instruction (online) has totally transformed our program making it truly meet our student's needs.  I started a blog and forum at :  www.althighschool.com that describes our program in more detail.

Thanks for your post, we are getting ready to open our twilight alternative program after the holiday break! Your point about staff is well taken. Reminds me of what Collins says in Good to Great, " you have to have the right people on the bus".

I checked out your blog and noticed the video clip from Ken Robinson. I came across that video a couple of weeks ago on the Educators PLN. As a result I bought his book "The Element", which is very good.

I have a couple of questions, What time does your program start? and who sets up the community based internships?

Thanks again, Ray

Ray
Our program begins at 3pm and ends at 7pm Monday through Thursday. Friday is devoted to community internship. We try to have our students initiate the relationships in the community. We feel that our life skills class (which all of our students take) provides students with the needed skills to communicate with the various business leaders. When a student is challenged by this we as a staff assist.

Thanks for starting this group
Gary

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Shawn Mitchell replied to Rob Schoonveld's discussion Twitter vs Edupln
"My preference is this website is best. Twitter is used for social purpose and EDUPLN is used for professional discussion which you cannot discuss on social platforms."
6 hours ago
Shawn Mitchell replied to Shanshan Ma's discussion Personalized learning network and social media
"Hi, There are too many platforms of social media and the member of those platform discuss so many things and participate. So it depends only on you where do you want to discuss."
6 hours ago
Shawn Mitchell replied to Nanacy Lin's discussion Future Of Education
"Now a days AI is best technology to learn because it is the future."
Monday
Joe Silva updated their profile
Monday
Profile IconStuart Jones, Sarah Kiefer, Corina Gamez and 5 more joined The Educator's PLN
Sunday
Vivi Hamilou updated their profile
Mar 20
Vivi Hamilou posted a blog post

We’ve got news for you!

EfxeiNewsPoli, Issue 1, Primary School of Efxeinoupoli, Greece“We’ve got news for you” is the title of the eTwinning project we are involved in this year with the 4th, 5th and 6th learners of the …See More
Mar 20
andy mellor updated their profile
Feb 17

Events

© 2021   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service