The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

Hello Everyone-

I have a small high school that - unfortunately - won't be small enough any longer next year to support our current schedule.  My board has instructed me to implement two different lunches to alleviate overcrowding, but I am at a loss as to how that can possibly function with 110 minute block classes. I'm in California, so perhaps it is because we are not allowed to count any lunch time as instructional minutes (and there are other pretty significant restrictions as well), but I'm curious if anybody out there is aware of a block schedule that has solved the dilemma of two lunch periods.  Responses here or to my e-mail address - dchilders@acelfresno.org would be greatly appreciated!

Dave Childers

@davechilders

@acelfresno

Views: 152

Replies to This Discussion

Dave,

I'm not sure what you mean by two lunches.  Do you mean that two of your instructional blocks will each have a lunch component or that two lunch times will be scheduled for a single instructional block?

I run a 4x4 87 minute block schedule for my 1150 student regional high school. My daily schedule looks like this:

7:15AM - 8:42 : A Block

8:48AM - 8:55: Homeroom - Attendance

8:58AM - 10:24 : B Block

10:28 - 12:24 : C Block

10:27 - 10:54 : 1st lunch

10:57 - 11:24 : 2nd lunch

11:27 - 11:54 : 3rd lunch

11:57 - 12:24 : 4th lunch

12:27 PM - 1:54 : D block

1:54PM : dismissal

Approximately 280 students are scheduled for each lunch block.  In case you think that HR between A and B blocks is unusual, we do so because we allow students - some of whom eat breakfast (if at all) at home at 6:00 AM and are on a bus by 6:30AM - to eat something in case they are scheduled for the 3rd or 4th lunch time.

I hope that this helps.

-Kevin Higginbottom

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

David Chiles posted a status
"Friends, networkers, developing my own online courses. Feel free to any online resources for lesson plans. Thanks"
May 16
Hos-Na Salehi and David Chiles are now friends
May 4
David Chiles posted a status
"Issues with online learning exist. AI test taking is creepy to students. Read more https://bit.ly/2zchfJW"
May 4
Hos-Na Salehi is now friends with alexpipo1985@yahoo.com and Erline Sherman
May 2
Erline Sherman updated their profile
Apr 30
Profile IconLizzy Cole, Emily Collins and Alaina LaManna joined The Educator's PLN
Apr 30
Profile IconErline Sherman, stacy doyon, Faraz Hussain and 30 more joined The Educator's PLN
Apr 28
Diana Martinez liked Thomas Whitby's video
Apr 26

© 2020   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service