The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

Technology in the Classroom- Is it a right? Is it fair?

I am an undergraduate at ISU in my third year studying to be a Special Education teacher. I am currently enrolled in a summer course learning about Assistive Technology. I am a firm supporter of the use of technology in the classroom, but a recent class discussion question got me thinking. Is technology use in the classroom a right? Is it fair? 

Would you go as far as to say that technology use in the classroom is a right for students? Although not legally a right, should it be? Why? Why not?

Is it fair? Many schools do not have the funding to support the use of technology in the classroom. Does that then mean that it is unfair for other schools to implement its use? Why? Why not?

I know that I have mixed opinions when it comes to answering these questions and I am eager to hear what other people have to say regarding this topic.

Thanks

Lacey 

Views: 83

Replies to This Discussion

Lacey,

First, I wonder if the idea of funding is changing somewhat.  In Indiana, schools now have the opportunity to take funding that originally would have gone for textbooks and use it on alternative curriculum, including the purchase of hardware and software.  To that end, my district is providing an iPad to each incoming freshman and sophomore student next fall.  (We'll increase that by one grade each year until each student leases an iPad each year. )  So, we have the ability to provide technology to students.

On the other hand, it may not be that simple as with other districts in other states, or even other districts in Indiana.  We see that anyway with districts that are barely scraping by financially, while other districts are building new schools, hiring new staff, and so on. 

Personally, I'd say it's completely fair for a district to acquire and implement technology assets if they have the funding available to do so.  If a district doesn't, maybe there are steps they can take (grant writing, for example) to generate funding.  I don't think we want to be in a situation where we hold students in one district back simply because other students in other districts automatically don't have hte same opportunities.

On the other hand, if we demand educational equality, then I'd say it's the obligation of the Federal Government to step in and provide for that.  State governments are already cash-strapped, and to expect every student to have access to the same technology, etc. would probably only be possible on the state level.

Michael Hutchison

Hi Lacey,

I had to struggle with a similar issue on one of my Grad Dip Ed courses.  It became apparent that  equality and fairness are both multi-faceted.  For example, we can give everyone the same tool (e.g. laptop) to cover equal access but is it equal opportunity - perhaps not when some students may require a different laptop as may be the case for assistive tech.  In this sense, it is unfair to give exactly the same tool to every student.

I have also heard of cases where differences in tools (e.g. mobile phones) have led to bullying and this has been used as an argument for banning phones in the classroom. Is that fair?

Teaching and learning is risk-y business.  I think the only way forward with regards to your question is to ask whether or not technology ultimately promotes learning or detracts from it.  If there is a way to mitigate the 'unfairness' and 'inequality' then you'll probably find that technology will enhance teaching and learning.

I hope this helps.

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Kevin Johnson posted a blog post

How To Celebrate Your Graduation Differently?

Graduation is the biggest event a student lives for, the pleasure of making it through the road is above anything in the world. You may be jumping on your feet, doing random dances and your joyous screams could be heard on Mars. Yes, it is totally understandable to be that crazy and happy for such a milestone you achieved. Although, take a moment thanking…See More
Dec 11
Profile IconYuna Buhrman, Deborah J. Oldman-Brown, Stephanie Cressman and 1 more joined The Educator's PLN
Dec 10
Kyle Kresge joined Jill Galloway's group
Thumbnail

Project-Based Learning (PBL)

This group is for those who implement the project-based learning model or want to learn more about it.
Dec 8
Kyle Kresge joined Shelly Terrell's group
Thumbnail

Edchat

Join this group to extend the discussion of edchat topics!
Dec 8
Ruth Herman Wells posted discussions
Dec 6
Christine Hinkley updated an event

OLC Innovate 2019 at Gaylord Rockies Resort and Convention Center

April 3, 2019 at 8am to April 5, 2019 at 5pm
At OLC Innovate, we will conduct a series of engaging hands-on sessions aimed at fostering organic interactions and collaborative cross-disciplinary problem-solving. Together we will build new foundations for stronger, better higher education environments. And because innovation scales best when ideas are shared, our work sessions will explore digital technologies and adapted teaching behaviors aimed at informing policy, inspiring leadership, and evolving practice at all levels impacting…See More
Dec 6
Profile Iconkatelyn brown and Janine Leiterman joined The Educator's PLN
Dec 6
Kyle Kresge joined Child's Work's group
Thumbnail

Special Education

A group based on Special Education needs. Where teachers, parents, and caregivers can share and distribute information for the classroom and beyond. See More
Dec 5

© 2018   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service