The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

We've had some interesting conversations over the past while about how mentors compliment and support students through the exhibition process. Elementary teachers, parents, senior school teachers, support staff, administrators are all potential mentors but what is the best
way to gather their support?

Listening to others in our shared session today was really useful as new ideas were put forth. I particularly liked the idea of school administrators and leaders modelling to other teachers by

offering themselves as mentors. The suggestion of specifically targeting and
inviting grade 6 teachers is a great opportunity for them to meet the students
they will see next year.

How will we ensure that we have enough mentors for all of our students? Do we need to have 1:1 mentoring for all students, or should we encourage group mentoring? Is there a way to engage mentors using

technology?

Views: 88

Replies to This Discussion

Great ideas...given that students in grade 5 are more comfortable with many interactive web tools, many of which allow for synchronous or asynchronous collaboration, there is no reason why we should keep on restricting mentor-student times together to face-2-face meetings. Surely there's potential for Primarypad, Prezi Meetings, Bubbl.us, Google Forms to be used in a new mentoring scenario? This could open up many possibilities as it would mean more flexibility within the teacher/mentor's timetable.
I like the idea of keeping mentors involved through weekly updates. I also like the idea of 1:1 mentoring, where each meeting lasts for 15 minutes. A mentor could meet with 3 students in a session. The kids could even go down to the mentor's room at appointment time rather than have the mentor come up each time. If each mentor has 3 kids that means we need about 27 mentors. We need to start approaching mentors now to find volunteers initially.
I also like the idea of 1-1 mentors. But I also think we can do better with mentoring by providing more in depth feedback when the children do their "practice runs." The quality of the feedback then is really important but there also needs to be quality follow-through afterward. Mentors could be targeted to a few children instead of (as happens at the moment) simply going round and talking to whichever child is available. Perhaps we need to redefine the purpose of those pre-exhibition presentations to make sure that they really allow for the children to have quality feedback from experienced mentors?

Teresa
As Rachel suggested, I also like the idea of different Grades looking at different areas of learning, with their teachers. First Graders look at Knowledge, 3rd graders look at action etc etc

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Profile IconMelbourne City College Australia, Shavonda Smith, Michelle Cousineau and 10 more joined The Educator's PLN
11 hours ago
Erline Sherman posted a status
"Checkout this blog to learn>>> Easy Ways to Understand AP Calculus BC https://bit.ly/33NsTbp"
yesterday
Erline Sherman posted a status
"Enhance your math skills by playing these awesome games>> Written by TutorEye>> https://bit.ly/2PF2UKM #Math #MathGames #TutorEye"
Monday
David Chiles posted a status
"Friends, networkers, developing my own online courses. Feel free to any online resources for lesson plans. Thanks"
May 16
Hos-Na Salehi and David Chiles are now friends
May 4
David Chiles posted a status
"Issues with online learning exist. AI test taking is creepy to students. Read more https://bit.ly/2zchfJW"
May 4
Hos-Na Salehi is now friends with alexpipo1985@yahoo.com and Erline Sherman
May 2
Erline Sherman updated their profile
Apr 30

© 2020   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service