The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

I am leading a group of teachers in transforming their reading teaching by using the strategies that the work of Zimmerman and Keene (amongst others) advocates in Mosaic of Thought. Do you do similar work? We are doing it with boys K-4 and have been thrilled with the work so far. Here is a slidecast that I used as an introduction to one of my meetings.
Fine Tuning Your Teaching of Reading

Views: 335

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing your slidecast- I enjoyed it.
We transformed our 6th grade reading teaching and learning about 3 years ago and I loved going to school every day. It was so exciting teaching explicit reading strategies, using gradual release of responsibility, as you mentioned. We broke the strategies up into steps, modeled these using think alouds, then had students practice (first in pairs, then independent). I found the best part being that ALL students had success, everyone improved their reading comprehension throughout the year- no matter where they started from. The good readers become more metacognitive (since they really didn't know why they comprehended, they just did) and the lower readers started to add to their 'tool box' so they could help themselves understand.

We used Mosaic and Strategies that Work (Harvey and Goudvis) as our base. They had great examples and resources for books to use as teaching tools.

I use to tell my students, 'I'm going to let you listen to the voices in my head'- saying don't worry it isn't that scary! There weren't any 'secret teaching techniques'- we let them know this is what good readers do and this is why we are practicing it, cause the true reason for reading is to open up the world to you...
Good luck- every day is a great adventure when you are teaching reading strategies- If you would like any specific resources I created for the 'Big 8' Strategies (Clarifying, Determining Important Information, Summarizing, Predicting, Inferencing, Questioning, Activating Prior Knowledge, and Mental Imagery) let me know.
Happy Reading!
Dodie
Dodie,
I am looking for resources for new reading classes I am teaching with high schoolers who are below reading level. What would you sugggest?
Paula
Hi,
I would love to see the resources you have for the "Big 8" reading strategies. I am trying to focus on a strategy a month. Anything you could share is greatly appreciated.
jgreene@psd202.org

Thanks.
Justin

I would love to have the resources that you created for each of the 8 strategies. I recently joined this PLN and saw you post about the book and I am reading it now. I like the ideas of focusing on one strategy a month. I teach 7th and 8th grade reading and I have a very, very wide variety of abilities in my room and I am going to focus on using the strategies with different leveled material. Thanks so much! joni.readout@gmail.com

Hi Melanie,

It's so nice to hear about successes and excitement in the classrooms from both you and Dodie. I must admit that teaching comprehension is the area in reading where I am the least confident. I have heard and read about strategy instruction misuse and it shaped my thinking. I will admit that when I first began teaching strategies, I was on strategy overload. Here is an article from Choice Literacy that talks about this point: http://www.choiceliteracy.com/public/853.cfm . By no means am I trying to deter anyone from using strategy instruction, but I think it is an important read.

P. David Pearson, a leader in the comprehension field, said at our local reading association conference that clarifying is the most important strategy. I agree and I think kids who struggle have the most difficulty with this because they are not used to reading making sense to begin with. In addition, I've found they don't even understand the word "clarify." To get them to understand that, I always taught them that "clarify" means "to make clear". To exemplify, I would say a sentence such as, "Go get it." Then I would ask my students, "Is that clear?" They would say, "No," and I would ask, "Why not?" They should reply, "It's not clear because we don't know what 'it' is." Obviously, this is clarifying at the sentence level, but I think it is best to start small.

I have read a lot about how students struggle with anaphoric references (like in my previous example with "it") and I really trained students to look out for when writing did not make sense. Strugglers need to know that sometimes writing does not make sense because the writing itself is unclear. In other words, it's not them; it's the author. My students delighted in sharing how they could make the writing clearer than the author could in some cases. Making things clearer also transferred over to their writing (to some degree) which was a treat to see. I would so love to see more research on anaphoric references. Maybe I spent too much time with it, but watching the changes in their comprehension makes me think it was time well spent.

Another thing I did which I think was successful was teaching my students that good readers "TWRC" (think, wonder, reflect, and connect). For the most part, kids understand these words--reflection being the hardest. The "wonder" is really the questioning in strategy instruction and I think it is also another important part of comprehension because when we wonder, we think deeper and those wonders lead to better learning. After reading a passage with the group, I would make them all share a wonder. In the beginning, their wonders were things like, "I wonder if he has a brother," "I wonder when is his birthday." In other words, their wonders were very superficial. I would model deeper wonders and let them know that good wonders do not usually have answers. When sharing mine, I would have to remind them in the beginning that I was not looking for an answer, but that I was just wondering. After much modeling, it was such a delight to hear their well-thought out wonders. It was also a delight when their peers would say, "Oooooh! That's a great wonder!"

In regards to activating background knowledge, I also found it necessary to remind students that we all have knowledge in our head that is accurate and inaccurate and that when we read about new things, we must decide if what we read confirms our existing knowledge, or if we need to refine our existing knowledge. Struggling kids seem to believe that everything they "know" is true. We also discuss considering the source when altering existing knowledge.

Making inferences is another thing strugglers have a lot of difficulty with and I wish there was more research on this. One thing that stands out in my learning path was when I heard that, "Authors imply, therefore readers have to infer." It is a continuous thing we do in everything we read. Anaphoric referents require it. Young kids do it with body language. It is everywhere! Taffy Raphael's work really influenced me here. She said that a discovery she made was that many struggling readers either thought that answers to questions about what they read came from the book, or from their head. They did not seem to realize that they could come from both (inferential thinking). I love her Question-Answer-Relationships (QAR) and I often used this with them. I think this positively affected their comprehension in a big way. It took me a while to get the hang of how to teach it, but boy once I did; I saw a huge difference in their ability to answer questions correctly. I will upload the chart I used.

Lastly, I plan to attend the International Reading Association convention this year and I plan to take the comprehension strand, because as I've said, I do feel this is my weakest area in teaching reading, which is sad since comprehension is the ultimate goal of reading! Oh, and to get them to understand what "comprehension" meant, I would refer to the Spanish equivalent, "Comprende?" They loved it and it seemed to sink in. It amazed me that 4th, 5th, and 6th graders did not understand the word "comprehension" before this.
Attachments:
I found this podcast from Margaret McKeown on the Voice Of Literacy. She talks about comprehension strategy instruction and I thought of my Reading PLN. I would love to hear your TWRCs on this: http://bit.ly/4AoU93

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Profile IconJohn Bowden, Randy Tipton, janice antoine and 2 more joined The Educator's PLN
Nov 13
Jose Hodge posted a blog post

DORM SWEET DORM

College dorms are a great place to make friends, find classmates and enjoy college more closely. But which one to choose? This is often the big question for those who have to travel miles away from home to attend college the next year. This is the current situation of approximately 200,000 students, so it is very important to know all the details. In this case, we give you some advice so you can choose the best place without dying in the process and having a great time. Take notes!Find the best…See More
Nov 13
Nancy Carolina Mendez Melo updated their profile
Nov 12
Thomas Whitby's video was featured

Community for Creativity, Fayette County Public Schools

Learn about the Community for Creativity 2018- 2019 pilot program for Fayette County Public Schools through this video collaboratively produced by the studen...
Nov 7
Thomas Whitby posted a video

Community for Creativity, Fayette County Public Schools

Learn about the Community for Creativity 2018- 2019 pilot program for Fayette County Public Schools through this video collaboratively produced by the studen...
Nov 7
andy mellor posted a blog post

Taking control, taking ownership and stepping up!

For some time now I have believed very strongly that the profession should help to regulate and support itself.On Friday Dame Alison Peacock from the Chartered College, Sir Kevan Collins from EEF and I presented to 50+ school leaders in the North West on a vision for more autonomy for schools and more self regulation.I covered the outcome of the NAHT Accountability Commission which talks about school leaders stepping up and taking responsibility for themselves and their peers as quite simply,…See More
Nov 7
Profile IconJinny Christiansen, Tulia and Erin Magagna joined The Educator's PLN
Nov 7

© 2018   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service