The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

I am the new Student Council sponsor at my school (and a first year teacher) and last night we saw two teaching positions cut by the school board.  One of my student council members came to the board meeting and stayed for the entire 3 hours.  In the end, he said that he felt the students really needed to be better informed.  We pondered some ideas and came up with the idea of creating a Student Council facebook page.  Has anyone else had experience with this?  It seems to me there could be some pitfalls and I am wondering how others have dealt with any possible issues?

Views: 192

Replies to This Discussion

Talk with a few of the kids about the pitfalls. What do you see as being the worst case scenario of using FB? Most kids are using it now. We have kids in our school who started an english page and the kids use it to post their assignments and the instructor is on it at night to answer questions. (not all the time and not immediately, but can check to see if there are questions on particular assignments.) Students also answer questions of each other. I would see a facebook page that is monitored for content and appropriateness very useful for students and probably a nice way to extend student council beyond weekly meetings. 

You might consider using your student council leaders to draw up the guidelines for the page - content, news releases, who has access to the account, etc. 

Hamilton County Virtual School uses a Group in Fb set to "Secret" but I'm not sure they've had much success with it. I set one up for our small group of full-timers here at the new MNPS (Nashville) Virtual Learning Program but I'm still fumbling around figuring out how to optimize its usage and get kids to join it. One other good option may be Edmodo, where you can set up a passcode protected conversation. I'm a bit more optimistic about that option but I do believe that having something at Fb where kids (and pretty much everyone else online) go regularly would be a plus. Hope this helps.

I don't see ANY pitfalls.  I don't get why adults are afraid to talk to kids online.  They're the same people they are in life.  I write about this here:

Kids and teachers are interacting. Everybody panic!

and here

Being Safe Online Is Being Safe In Life

I've talked to kids and here's what they say (notice the embedded video featuring students).

10 Ways Facebook Strengthens the Student - Teacher Connection

I've talked to teachers who use Facebook too and here's how one first grade teacher is using Facebook with her students and parents.

8 Real Ways Facebook Enriched Ms. Shoening's First Grade Class

So, my advice. Do it!

And...let us know how it goes.

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

John Marsh shared their blog post on Twitter
3 hours ago
John Marsh posted a blog post

Tips To Become Better At Statistics

Statistics help needed at every stage and in every aspect of our activities. Statistics are used to analyze what is happening in the world around us. It also helps us to know what happened in the past and can be useful in predicting what may happen in the future. For many of the students and adults doing statistic is a challenging task. Below find some creative tips to become better at the statistic.…See More
yesterday
John Marsh liked Avi Spector's video
yesterday
Scott Johns posted a discussion

Is your school engaging in blended learning?

Dear Colleagues,Over the summer, I have been working with the Clayton Christensen Institute, a non-profit institution conducting research in blended learning. I am working as part of a team that is building a Blended Learning Universe (BLU), a searchable database of blended-learning programs nation-wide.If your school is engaging in blended learning, please contact me! We would love to gain your help in shaping this…See More
yesterday
Thomas Whitby's 3 videos were featured
Monday
Thomas Whitby posted videos
Monday
anilkumar pavuluri updated their profile
Sunday
Lisa Michelle Dabbs updated their profile
Saturday

Awards And Nominations

© 2014   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service