Preparing for college is a very important goal for parents and their children. Ideally, the work towards this opportunity should begin before your child is in high school. To ensure the success of your child, it’s vital to educate them about college days thoroughly. It’s a well-known fact that college life begins with a number of new challenges & career plans for the high school graduates. Thus, early planning and comprehensive education regarding college may help eliminate some of the stress of parents & students. In such scenario, guidance counselor can provide important information on college entrance exams and scholarship plans.
Here are some significant ways to successfully educate your child to prepare for college:
- Take the guidance of counselor: First of all, parents & students should commence meeting with a counselor at the beginning of 9th grade to ensure that all the important course work is taken throughout high school. Along with this, you can take the information about the possible summer opportunities & extracurricular activities. According to this, your child can pursue exciting summer opportunity as well as can register for ACT or SAT Reasoning Test. School counselor will help you to narrow college choices.
- Find out what type of education your child prefer: High school graduates attending college should foremost determine what type of education they want to achieve their career goals. If students have a career plan in their mind, be assured to explore the exact course requirements that they will need to prepare for within high school as well as early in college. On the other hand, the types of jobs of different stream that are available will assist parents to determine which college your child prefers to attend. Besides, students should also need to delve into the type of education according to their preferred career. In this way, they can easily opt for the best of college to attend.
- Take Reasoning Test and Subject Tests: There are numerous ways for school graduates to start preparing early in their high school career. During the junior high and high school education, your child can prepare for ACT and or SAT Reasoning Test and Subject Tests. These preparations include college-level courses with standardized tests. Thus, it's a right time to prepare academically & begin thinking about college.
- Narrow down the college list & choose colleges successfully: It is better to meet with school counselor to narrow down the list or choices and find out the best college for your child according to his/her talents, career goals and needs.
- Preparing financially for college: You can file for financial aids as the final cost of college for a semester is the combination of several costs, including tuition fees, other course expenses, etc. Some states and many financial firms offer financial plans and college saving plans for students. Thus, you can help your child to get the scholarships as soon as possible. On the other hand, you can also apply for education loan. Indeed, several savings accounts are offering tax benefits on education loan.
- Apply for a selected college efficiently: Once you narrowed down the list of colleges that you are going to apply to, you need to start gathering some important info and available courses that they will require. Applying for a selected college is easy if student fill out his/her application form correctly and submit it with the required & necessary documents.
- Meet the college adviser: After applying for the college, you should arrange a meeting with the college adviser as he/she will be able to guide your child about the available & preferred courses.
- Participate in extra Curricula Activities: In the old days, colleges used to just see the academic reports to make a decision but now a days colleges look at other extra activities besides academic activities such as community services and other summer activities. Online tutorial can help student in some summer activities.
- Preparing a four-year graduation plan: It is very important for a student to prepare a 4-year graduation plan that includes both short-term and long-term career goals beyond graduation. A systematic process will help students to build their career and set milestones effectively.
- Summer Tutoring: Stay busy in the summer, take online summer classes to stay ahead in all major subjects including math, English and Science. Taking math tutoring in summer time can help save time and stay ahead from everyone else when you go back to school.
The college education mainly builds on the skills and knowledge acquired by students in their earlier years or during school days. Thus, it is best for you to educate your child to start planning during high school course schedule. The high school (9th grade, 10th grade, 11th grade & 12th grade) courses cover all the important subjects that help students in their college education to build career according to their skills & knowledge.