There is a rising popularity regarding e-books and the high probability of them replacing traditional textbooks. But there are several questions to be answered before finally deciding to download these books online. Here are some.
• What gadgets do I need for electronic books? You can use your personal computers or laptops (even smart phones!) to download free textbooks and store files. There is also the new trend of tablets and e-readers which are currently available in the market. These gadgets cost a few hundred dollars, so if you are a student on a tight budget, this might not be a good idea for you. Although you can get e-books for free, buying a new iPad or Kindle is not a good idea, especially if you think about how short the lifespan of these gadgets could be in contrast to the lifespan of the books you have in your shelf. But if you are someone techie and have some money to spare, you can try it.
• Where can I find free e-books? There are a number of websites where you can download free textbooks. These communities (such as Scribd and Project Gutenberg) have a huge collection of different digital books which are useful to students. Most of these communities require you to sign up and become a member without paying anything; just be wary if you encounter sites which ask for your credit card information.
• What are the disadvantages of digital books? There are a lot of old books which are still unavailable in digital format, so if you want to download free textbooks which were published twenty or so years ago, the chances of you finding it free on the internet are not so great. Moreover, one of the most common concerns arising from e-readers is the risk of eye strain and repetitive strain injury. Spending long hours in front of computers are never recommended, and so is reading from computer screens.
• What are their advantages? You can download free textbooks
– a lot of them – from the internet. You can save some dollars if you just get it online rather than purchasing them. They also do not take physical space, so it would not be so much of a chore bringing a laptop instead of three or four textbooks all at once. It is also generally deemed to be more green and friendly to the environment since it does not have to use any paper or ink.
If you’re looking for ease, convenience, hundreds of dollars of savings, or the best deals when you buy textbooks
, then Bookgator.com is the best textbook online source for you. A social BookStore like Bookgator you can Buy or sell textbooks online
, swap or trade old text books with other group members, organize your own bookshelf, and demand any book you want to read for free.